Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Real World: Heather in Hungary

Where did I leave off...? Sunday afternoon. I was being a bum until almost dinner, when I realized I needed to make dinner and I still had lessons to prepare for Monday.
Monday at school was fairly good—nothing in particular stands out, other than the notifications of the next few days’ events which I will discuss soon. My facebook status read “spending this afternoon: re-revising English lessons, prepping possible TV- and newspaper- interview responses, studying some Hungarian to make the 1-hour-each-direction trip to the Immigration Office tomorrow with the headmaster less awkward, and reading up on the universe. None of this is sarcastic. This is ‘Real World: Heather in Hungary.’ 
I spent Tuesday morning (Monday night in CA) on Skype with my insane family, complete with minute-by-minute replays of a day in the life of a sophomore, upside down webcams, and dancing paper dolls. I then went to the primary school and taught my lessons, booked it to the high school to teach two more lessons, ate lunch, and then went back to the Immigration Office in Veszprém with the headmaster. My new teacher-friend hitched a ride with us and was a great translator—something she’s done a lot of for me this week alone. I received my residence permit, good through June (just in case I should somehow change my mind about going home.) It was a simple in-and-out, stamp, sign, stamp, sticker, stamp process.
Hungarian Residence Permit!
The ride back sans-translator was a lot less stressful than I imagined, and we got along just fine. Nevertheless, I REALLY need to find the easy-button for understanding Magyarul. I spent the late afternoon cleaning my apartment—sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, cleaning the stove, tub, etc. It was a B-E-A-U-tiful day. I wore a sweater to school in the morning and was in a short-sleeved shirt the rest of the day. Perhaps the weather in Hungary isn’t so bad... for now.  OH! I also got my first package in the mail from home! YAY!
all the stuff my family sent!!! I love it all, but the postcards, squirrel, Burt's Bees, and Del Taco sauce are my favorites!!

So, today I had a hard time getting moving this morning, but my first lessons went well, and I think I even managed to explain well-enough the concepts of the universe and light-years to my lower-level-English geography kids. I even helped fill out forms for my health insurance here. I was in my 11th grade English class with two minutes left when the headmaster pops in with the TV crew. Yes, I was literally followed today by the local TV station through two classes, as well as an interview (again translated by my awesome friend). Can you say NERVE-WRACKING!?!?!?!?!?! They wanted to know how long I have been here; my first impressions of the town, the school, the students and staff; my impression of the levels of English spoken by the students, if I had taught English elsewhere, and what was the most different thing culture-shock wise. It was definitely interesting, and I am hoping to figure out what channel and what time this is airing so if nothing else I can video-tape it with my camera to share with you all.
After school I went to InterSpar to prepare for Angie’s birthday tomorrow—I am ever the party planner, and so she will definitely be having a fabulous dinner party! Stay tuned for the details on this gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian party. I’m excited. J
Theoretically tomorrow a student from the school paper wants to interview me as well—I don’t think it’s going to work tomorrow with my schedule, but maybe Friday.
So yes, my life is literally a TV show. Haha.

1 comment:

  1. Told you it's a tv show people would watch, these Hungarians understand how the world works!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Comments? Please share!