Saturday, October 23, 2010

Newsflash?

Newsflash: I am only here for one semester. Apparently, it was breaking news on Thursday, despite the fact I only signed up for one, and have been quite clear and open with everyone (or so I thought). I was first attacked by the program director with a phone call Wednesday night, triple checking that I hadn’t changed my mind. No, I hadn’t. Okay, I won’t bother you again, I just wanted to make sure. Ok, no problem. The schools really like you and want you to stay. Thanks, but I have a job waiting for me. We have someone to replace you so its no problem. Okay, great. I hung up. The next morning, I got hounded by the primary school headmaster with “is it true?” Apparently she had heard it from the headmaster of the high school, with whom I’ve had several conversations about this little tidbit of information, but didn’t believe him until she got the CV of the replacement person the director had mentioned. She was shocked, and asked if the director had known all along—I said yes, I only signed up for one semester, and only ever planned on staying one semester. So, that was settled, I guess I hadn’t specifically said it to her (I do only teach 6 classes a week there, so maybe it wasn’t clear) but now she knew. No problem.... until I got to the high school that afternoon, and the English department chair (my rather non-present contact person) came to me with “is it true?” all over again. At this point, I am really confused, as I definitely know the headmaster (and most of the English teachers) know I am leaving in January. I explain that financially it doesn’t make any sense and that I have a job waiting for me at home and I only signed up for one semester anyways, so none of that other stuff should even matter. It was as though I had been sneaking around all along, and magically on Monday, January 17th I would simply not show up to school, having left the country over the weekend. NOT! Although, if I could pull that story off with my 10H class.... that would be pretty spectacular. ;)
I tried to reassure everyone that I would do everything I could to make the transition smooth for the students and the new teacher, but no one seemed too concerned about that part, which while it didn't shock me, was certainly a bit frustrating. I just have no idea why they all thought I was staying for the year, when I made it perfectly clear. I assume the program directors tried fudging the truth a bit to make sure the schools accepted me, because who hires someone for half a year? (The fact the program squeezed $2K outta me was probably also motivation). Nevertheless, I don't know why being honest about it would be so hard.
Interesting day, to say the least.
I’m also the only person in this country that isn’t sad I am leaving in January. Not that I am counting down the days til I escape—this isn’t torture or anything—but I find it sort of interesting. My friend even said she was wishing my long-term sub job at home would fall through so I would have to stick around. I guess I should be happy people want me to stay.
Besides, I have a wedding to help plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Comments? Please share!