We checked into the former prison hostel (which was a bit disappointing in the super-cool category, but otherwise still a nice hostel) and then went out for a traditional Slovenian meal, as it was our last night there. We went to a nice sit down place we had walked past a few nights ago, and enjoyed a sumptuous feast of cabbage, sausage, potatoes, wine. gulyas, and tripe. Yes, round two of the tripe. We were each ordering a different sausage plate, but then our super awesome waiter suggested I try something else—he concocted a special order of “very traditional” Slovenian gulyas and tripe, and I agreed before it clicked what I was ordering. But, since the last one wasn’t so bad, I figured I could, well, stomach it. UGH. Imagine, if you will, the smell of a petting zoo, and then turn that into a taste, and then put that in a bowl with goulash. Thank heaven Angie’s sausage was phenomenal and she shared! Haha. We also had a wonderful dessert with a cute little wine-liquer that tasted like candy. My insane travel companions were so determined to go to the afore-mentioned “trendy area” next to our hostel, and either it was the wine or the exhaustion or it wasn’t as scary as I originally thought, but it wasn’t bad. I dragged them back to the hostel with me, showered and fell asleep. We got up early, inhaled the free breakfast, and booked it to the train station to catch the morning train to Zagreb.
I had a headache in the morning, and energy was lacking all around. I sorta felt bad for pressing on when they wanted to stay and sleep, but I’d rather get to the next city and do whatever (sleep included) than miss it entirely. However, the complaints about not getting souvenirs are valid—I did want to geta honeycomb painting... oh well. We press on.
A day in Zagreb—since we’d heard mixed reviews and its known for museums which even I wasn’t so interested in seeing, we decided to just experience the city by wandering around. We checked into our hostel, found a cute restaurant and ate a huge meal. We just walked and shopped and saw the dead guy (a cardinal in the cathedral, who looked a bit fake if you ask me), got a few souvenirs, took a few pictures, and did tons of walking. I think we have quenched the desire to experience the culture and not be so touristy nonstop. It’s a nice city with a serious fashion scene and café culture. So lively, even on a Wednesday night. Very European.
Alex would like for you to know that beautiful women keep making eye contact with him. (see trendy photos). There are also plenty of attractive men here. On a side note—I swear the word trendy is going to make me blow a gasket!!!
I replaced some of my makeup (I left my bag in the hostel in Bled) and got food for lunch tomorrow, showered, and got dressed to go out. I had two sausages, fries, and nutella/banana palacinta (crepes).
| cheers to our time in Slovenia |
| my HUGE lunch in Zagreb |
| Angie and the cardinal |
| Me and the Opera House in Zagreb |
I only have one word for this post: TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY! TRENDY!
ReplyDeleteTrendy? Is this some inside joke that was made 400 billion times in one day or something?
ReplyDeleteThanks for mentioning the beautiful girls - they were really into me. I saw more of them smile that day than I have Hungarian girls the entire time I've been here.
By the way, I bought another trendy scarf. It's not as good as the first one, though.