So, I have now been home for two weeks. It has been good, but also really, really weird. At first, I felt like I was visiting, like I was going back to my life in Pápa at any time. But, it was also like I was picking up where I left off 5 months ago, like my life in Europe never even happened. It was very weird. The jet lag was surprisingly okay to deal with—just total exhaustion for that first week, compounded by diving right back into working within hours of landing. I found myself back in my old routine, getting up and driving to school bright and early teaching the same topics and eating lean cuisines, only this time two doors down. The kids are typical American kids, but I have authority and respect in the classroom. Plus, my friend, the one i am subbing for, is crazy awesome and has everything planned out for me, and she even made all the copies for the first few weeks. It’s the easiest job I have ever had, and certainly like a vacation after Hungary!
I definitely miss the solitude—not in a creepy way, but in an I-know-that-my-stuff-will-be-right-where-I-left-it kind of way, a I can eat or watch whatever whenever kind of way. I love my family, but having little sisters around all the time with their teenage attitudes is well, different than seeing them for 20 minutes a week via skype!
I have gotten to see several new babies, one via 3D sonogram. I am finally settled back into a routine and the exhaustion is gone, and I am ready to see my friends and get back to normalcy. I went to the beach last weekend to watch the sunset. I can’t believe my 24th birthday is hours away. It’s crazy, really. I have a temporary teaching gig til spring break, but then I am back to square one, playing the EdJoin waiting game. In the meantime, I am diving head-first into wedding planning and Maid-of-Honor duties, including a bridal expo in the morning...
The blogs will definitely be slower, but I want to try and continue posting reflections and updates, even though Heather isn’t in Hungary anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thoughts? Comments? Please share!