Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Midolgunk a világban?

Sleep was good. Really good. Woke up at 3, but barely—popped a Benadryl and went right back to sleep. Unfortunately, I am out of Benadryl, and don’t know what I will do. I guess crack into the Nyquil and have mom send more? I found a SavOn-like store called DM, but haven't found hair styling appliances or recognizable over-the-counter drugs. Plus, everything opens late and closes early—so its pretty much at lunch or run right after class in the evening, or you are on your own. Hopefully I’ll find a curling iron or something to do with my hair. I bobbypinned it today, but it is seriously out of control.


The weather today has been beautiful—sunny with some clouds and a cool breeze. Like a beautiful autumn day at home. Plus, we figured out how to turn on the ac in the room, so now I’m not sweating to death all night.

I got some more information about how the whole visa process works, since I got roped into this so late and I didn’t get one before I left. I may miss getting my first pay check on time because of it, but hopefully it will all workout.

After class this afternoon I went with my roommate on an adventure to get pleasure reading books in angolul, but each store we went to had closed just before we got there. So, I ended up finally getting bandaids, postcards, souvenirs for the girls at home, and even a gyro. Still haven’t figured out how to pronounce it correctly, as each time I have ordered one I have said it at least two ways: the proper “yuro,” the semi-hungarian gurosh, the American guy-ro...and I get blank stares or they tell me they don’t have them. Hmm.

I don’t know. Part of me is at least involved in what is going on here and somewhat looking forward to what is to come this weekend, getting into Pápa and settling in... but I really don’t know what the heck I am going to do with all of these English classes. I thought I was coming here to teach geography. Which, in some aspects isn’t such a bad thing, since I can speak a lot better than I know geography, but I didn’t bring any materials. Like, nothing. Hmm. It is definitely a lot of change—more than I bargained for. I am hoping that I can rock this, but I can’t help but feel like I miss my family and home and I will be missing so many things, especially holidays—the last Christmas where all 4 girls would wake up at home. Not happening, with the way things are. I love Thanksgiving. It’ll just be another Thursday of teaching here. :(

These Hungarian classes are so intense, and I feel like NOTHING is sticking. The pasta is nowhere near done, but the cook keeps throwing it at the wall anyway. Mary said she was so glad I was here, that they need good teachers to send to Pápa, but I just don’t know. I mean, I just don’t know.

But like I told myself yesterday, I have to give this a fair chance. I haven’t even gotten to the town or the school. Mom said I will meet the students and fall in love, and she might be right. I know it is going to be rough, but Hungary/Hungarians have had it so much rougher, I can’t really complain. My problems are not really end-of-the-world status. And besides, rough is how we grow. Opportunity often means sacrifice. The abundant pessimism and not smiling isn’t the most helpful thing, seriously, but I guess I fit in well at the moment. I am trying to smile through it all. I haven’t had a good cry—just occasional tears while typing. Trying to avoid that. I’m not a sissy. ;) No phone calls—I definitely can’t handle that, and skype isn’t really an option right now anyways.

My question for this week is Midolgunk a világban? What is my purpose in life? It’s a phrase from our earlier presentation on Hungarian culture, and I think it makes a lot of sense. I haven’t figured out why I am here, in the 4 or so weeks in which this whole lofty idea turned into a reality, but I am trying to be patient enough to find out.

Make it a great day, or not—the choice is yours. Well, not in the Hungarian mindset, apparently, but this Amerikai is not giving up on it. :)

1 comment:

  1. So I think I kind of talked around this subject with you yesterday, and this definitely isn't the place to say anything in depth but a few thoughts:

    -every other American is going to miss Thanksgiving just as much as you will. Make your own :) At least the ingredients are available in Hungary (I think) unlike breakfast foods in Dubai
    -I don't really remember you in the very beginning of our AUD semester, mostly because I was with Nisa's family, but I seem to recall you telling me you didn't like it and wanted to go home? But you ended up loving Dubai and the experience, so keep that in mind. adjusting takes a week or two.
    -Your adventures with a pastry amused me. remember trying to get around in taxis in Egypt? It might take you a few weeks, but you'll start picking it up :)

    <3<3 Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Comments? Please share!